View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 05:20 PM

Hi hma,

I certainly didn't mean to scare you about those numbers meaning you wouldn't respond to treatment! That prognostic indicator about the lymphocytes is just one indicator of several. Another one is reticuloctye count (baby red blood cells) - with that one, the higher the better, and mine was 0.0, so it couldn't have been any lower, yet I responded pretty well anyway.

And also, from my layperson's view I think your numbers there look OK. With me, it was more like my ANC=200, and ALC=1600, so just a huge discrepancy. But with you, both are over 1000, which is pretty good to my understanding.

I know it is hard not to worry, but I think your numbers are good enough that you are far from needing treatment, at least for AA.

I have a friend whose WBC went down for a year mysteriously, then went right back up. And I have another friend whose platelets plummeted over 20 years ago to below 50 for a year, and then they went back up and have been fine for over 20 years now. In both cases, the cause was a mystery. You might have some stubborn virus that'll work itself out, or you may run slightly low for a long time and but won't get any worse.

I think you are making the right move going to John's Hopkins for a 2nd opinion.
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.