View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 6, 2017, 11:18 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone again for taking the time to respond to my questions. You guys have no idea who I am, and I feel blessed that you guys are taking the time to talk with me. I hope I can be just as much as of a help to you guys in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
It is helpful to track the trends of his HGB/platelets/ANC in a spreadsheet.
Great idea! I'll start a spreadsheet tonight.

Quote:
Go with him to the appointment if you can.
I would love to go with him to his appointments. My grandparents don't want me to go. My grandpa doesn't want me to see him when he's this weak. I've been coming over on the weekends with home cooked food(that's my way in the door :P). I've yet to break the barrier to go with him to his appointments. If you guys have any words of wisdom for me on this one, I would love to hear them.

Quote:
How many bags of blood is your grandpa getting per transfusions? How much of a boost is he getting from the transfusion?
I don't know how many bags of blood he's getting. He's only had 3 transfusions(including the latest one). The transfusion he got before this lasted him 8 weeks. The boost he got was almost to 11. The hemoglobin didn't fall to below 8(the latest blood test had him at 8.1), but he wanted the transfusion because he couldn't get through the day.

Quote:
Was your grandpa's MDS diagnosis based on a BMB? Has he been tested for B-12, folate, and other vitamin/mineral deficiencies?
This is where things get interesting. In January of this year he complained of having low energy and he went to the hospital and doctors office 4 or 5 times before getting diagnosed with MDS RAEB. He wasn't diagnosed until May. They did a bone marrow biopsy and after that they diagnosed him with MDS.

In July they gave him a B12 shot(after my grandmother repeatedly asked the doctor), and his hemoglobin did go up after the shot. They haven't given him another shot since(even though my grandmother has been continually asking the doctor for another b12 shot for him).

Is it still possible that this is a b12 deficiency issue?

Quote:
Is your grandpa still getting shots? Are they Vidaza shots?
They are giving him Procrit shots. Do you guys think Vidaza is better then Procrit?