View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 7, 2017, 10:59 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarshall23 View Post
I would love to go with him to his appointments. My grandparents don't want me to go. My grandpa doesn't want me to see him when he's this weak. I've been coming over on the weekends with home cooked food(that's my way in the door :P). I've yet to break the barrier to go with him to his appointments. If you guys have any words of wisdom for me on this one, I would love to hear them.
Ultimately, it's his decision, but I know one approach that may encourage him to let you come along: understanding and talking about the nitty gritty details. Demonstrate that you understand the disease and treatment options, know the main terminology, and are aware of the issues and decisions involved in his care. Suggest a list of questions to ask at appointments and ask him about the answers afterwards. He may soon realize that it would be very helpful for him to have you there at appointments, because it's true.

If I was 89 and had a well-intentioned and well-informed grandson monitoring the details of my care, I'd be thrilled to have that help. It may just take an adjustment in thinking for him to realize that it's OK to let his grandson take that role.