View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 19, 2018, 06:02 PM

MDS and Arimidex (Anastrozole)

I have been on watch and weight for 6 years with my intermediate mds.
I had a mastectomy for breast cancer in March and put on arimidex.
It is an anti-estrogen type drug; I had been on tamoxofin a decade ago with no problems.
In the two months I have become more and more tired all the time. Now I need to nap and nap and am too exhausted to do the simple household chores.
My internist ordered a CBC and my numbers are in the dumper all of a sudden. White, red and platelets have shifted down.
My hematologist and I agreed for me to stop the arimidex. I am praying that it is a big part of the problem. My hematologist does not believe it is a high probability to be the culprit.
I am probably looking at a bone marrow biopsy in the next month. Golly my favorite test.

My Dr ordered a new test that I don't seem to have before. Reticulocyte. It is a measure of immature red blood cells. Normal is under 1% and I am at 9. But
googling has only confused me. Articles suggest that MDS patients have low numbers and high is very unusual for MDS. That sure sounds backwards.
Any thoughts on this type of test.

He also tested my thyroid level and folic acid level which were normal. Ruling out other possible causes of fatigue.

I am the sole caretaker of my disabled husband and adopted son with mental health issues. So very concerned about their care if I am unable to continue doing. Yes i have hired some help for house and outdoors.

Thanks for any input.

Carol
Carol, age 75, diagnosed with MDS 9/2012, on wait and watch, recently had blood values drop probably due to Arimixdex, values coming back, but still serious fatigue, recent bone marrow text showed only 2% blasts