View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 1, 2008, 01:53 PM

Unhappy dacogen treatment - not recovering

Hi ,

Just wanted to update you on my husbands treatments. I am upset so writing makes me feel better. He had his first treatment of dacogen on November 11, 2008. on the 24th we went back to doctor and they gave him 2 more units of blood and paletes. He was suppose to start back on chemo next week, but after todays visit with doctor his counts are lower his white blood cells are down to .7 they were .9 last week, his platelets are 2 they were 5 last week, his hemoglin is 8.0 they were 8.1 last week, the only thing that went up was his red blood cells which are 2.64, last week they were 2.60

They are giving him 2 more units of blood today, then he goes back next Wednesday for more blood and then hopefully next Thursday they will put in a port, as his veins are so bad.

On the positive side of things we had a great thanksgiving, he eat the best he has in months, and seem to feel good. He even went for a short walk.

Friday night he started feeling worse, when this happens he has problems sleeping, even though he takes a sleeping pill. It is like he just can't get relaxed to go to sleep.

Hopefully they will be able to start the dacogen on the 15th.

Anyone that has had the dacogen treatment and the experience has been like this please let me know. I did not go with him today , my step-daughter did, as we have two homes one where his taking treatment and the other 3 1/2 hours away. I have a 12 year grandson that has cp that I take care of and it is hard to get someone to watch him the week I am gone for the treatment. I leave every Friday morning and go to our house in Durham and then come back on Sunday, as my step-son comes in Sunday night to run the business and is there with him during the week.

So all this said I was not able to ask the doctor if this was normal, and neither my husband or step-daughter ask him.

Any info from anyone would be deeply appreciated.

anne