View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 9, 2012, 10:51 PM

I agree with everything Marlene has said, and I'm not sure I have much to add to that. Yes, they're looking at cellularity as an indicator which way things are going, but if there is a discrepancy between that and periferal blood counts, I'm not sure what conclusion they draw from that.

In our case, the main concern has been about any further cytogenetic mutations, and what is going on with the one he already has. They didn't spot the trisomy 8 until his 3rd BMB, which was after his first ATG, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't there all along. I'd really like to know if it was, and if it could have been what triggered the autoimmune response in the first place, or if it arose secondary to IST. To my mind, that could conceivably make a difference in his treatment plan, but since we don't know, we just have to play it by ear. What we do know is that the next 3 BMBs showed no increase in clone size, so that was enough to ease some concerns. If there had been a change, I'm sure we'd still be doing them regularly, but for now, we're just relying on his CBCs.