View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 09:04 PM

Hey Lisa!

Here's the article, from 2005 in Blood:

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/106/3/841.full

It's pretty think stuff, but the basic point -- that MDSers with Trisomy 8 do develop a subpopulation of T-Cells primed to attack Trisomy 8 cells -- is pretty clear.

I asked Dr. Matt Olnes, who worked closely with Dr. Sloand, whether they felt this T-cell phenomenon was confined to Trisomy 8, and he said "No." They just picked that particular abnormality because it is relatively common in MDS and because it tied into their work on immunosuppression in MDS. But Olnes said they believed that other chromosomal abnormalities likely also spawned their own subpopulation of auto-immune T-cells.

I don't know what to think about the autologous idea. Wouldn't any set of stem cells drawn from a patient with a chromosomal abnormality be likely to have a certain percentage of cells with the abnormality? So you'd just be transplanting back in the same problem you're trying to get rid of?

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com