View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 07:48 PM

An update

Just to update:

Cheers to Dr Paquette at UCLA. His regimen of CsA alone seems to have worked! My counts stopped declining about 3 months after I started the new regimen, and now they are SLOWLY increasing!

The best news of all: my ferritin has continued to decline (last PRBC tx was July 2008). The doc says my body is using it to make red cells, and that's a lot better than using Desferal! I am so glad I waited! Last month it was a little over 1000. Dr Paquette says no need for chelation!

One downer: CsA is linked to higher incidence of cancer, and I just had to have a squamous cell cancer lesion removed from an ear. They said they got it all.

So a reminder to everyone on CsA to be on the lookout for this kind of thing! I was lucky that my ENT doctor, who was following up on some hearing loss I suffered, saw the lesion and said it needed to be removed.

BTW, my hemotologist thinks that it could have been the CsA at the root of the hearing loss.
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.