Thread: low back pain
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 1, 2012, 10:22 PM

low back pain

I am trying to remember if others have posted about developing out-of-the-blue, constant, severe lower back/hip pain as a result of meds. I didn't have any luck searching the forums, but I do seem to recall some postings about back pain.

I have had severe, disabling lower back pain for the past week, and I can't attribute it to any kind of muscular strain, etc. I have never had back problems, ever. This is very depressing as I have always been very active (pre dx, that is). Because of this disease, I have had to give up pretty much everything but walking and basic ballet/modern dance exercises/stretching that I have always done. I have been extremely grateful and feel fortunate to still be able to do these, and I walk A LOT to make up for the other activities I can no longer do. But now this recent back "thing" has me pretty much disabled. I can barely move and am in constant pain. The doctor ordered a lumbar x-ray and renal ultrasound, and both showed nothing that could be causing this pain. I had my second ATG in early April, and am taking Cyclosporine (225mg, 2x/day), Valacyclovir (500mg, 2x/day), prednisone (30mg/day currently, tapering down), famotidine (20mg, 2x/day), folic acid (1 mg/day). I have tried some allowed pain killers, but they haven't given me any relief. And besides, I am loathe to take more drugs than I have to. Could any of these meds be causing this back pain?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

Marmab
Marmab, F65, SAA/hypo MDS dx 7/2011. Tried ATG/CsA, IvIG, Rituxan, prednisone, Promacta -- none of these helped. Transfusion dependent until MUD BMT 7/17/14. Prep. regimen of Campath, Fludarabine & Cytoxan. Doing great. 100% engraftment. No GVHD.