View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 4, 2021, 12:59 PM

Dear JMonroe96,

I hope you are well.

My mother has severe aplastic anemia and just had another bone marrow biopsy done last week. She is getting her results tomorrow from the doctor. Her doctor is concerned that her horse-ATG is not working after 15 weeks, even though her neutrophils got close to 1000 for a few weeks and she went 2 weeks without blood last month.

The biopsy was done to see if her cellularity has increased. But I read that higher cellularity doesn't always equate to higher hemoglobin/platelet/neutrophil levels. Who knows, really? My mother's hematologist is quite negative and follows everything with a "textbook" mindset. She initially told her that she could be transfusion-dependent for 6 months or so post-ATG, but now is acting like she should have been transfusion-independent at 12 weeks. Again, who knows? I've already been told that some doctors wait 9 months or more after horse-ATG to declare it ineffective. I can't see her hematologist waiting much longer before she declares it ineffective. She fails to understand that my mother started out with only 5% cellularity before beginning treatment, and that she is almost 70 years-old. My mother already knows that she is probably going to have to get a second opinion.

As far as your questions is concerned, I wish I could help you. I am very little knowledge about bone marrow biopsies, but nothing seems to stand out as negative from a bit of research I've done to understand aplastic anemia biopsies. You're just hypocellular. That's all that really stands out to this non-expert

Wishing you much health and happiness.

Last edited by Matthew42 : Wed Aug 4, 2021 at 01:39 PM.