View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitta-A View Post
Hi King Farouk,
Wonderful that you have managed to get good examinations and treatment for your father! I don't think you should have any difficulties to get Neupogen when his WBCs are 1,4. Do you control his temperature every morning and evening? Be careful. Look at one of the sites for neutropenia. All infections will decrease all counts.

Then there is a warning list for lots of drugs and food that can decrease platelets: http://www.pdsa.org/about-itp/warnings.html

You know GSK har a special program for Promacta - http://www.promactacares.com/ and I still only know one MDS patient (Kirby Stone) who has received the drug outside trials. The drug has been approved in the EU (I live in Sweden) March 2010 and I still don't know if I can get the drug for my low platelets (last count 31). Hope you will manage and that your father will improve!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Hello Brigitta, I have been following your posts for a while now and thank you for the list of platelets effecting drugs and food. I am extremely weary of his temperature and he is on prophylactics but last sunday, my American thermometer read 103 F and took him to the clinic right away and his temperature read 38.2 C slightly feverish and his doctor did not wish to take a chance and admitted him for IV antibiotics for a course of seven days which ends tonight. All cultures are clear so far. I have mentioned Neupogen but the Kuwaiti Doctor is still reluctant to start it out of concern that it may also activate the blast cells. His Absolute Neuts today are 0.3 and have not increased in the past 2 weeks and would certainly hate to go over the hospital exercise once more, Dad's Boston doctor is anxious to receive the results of the new bone marrow biopsy before proceeding with any recommendations. I will somehow try to eloquently direct their attention to Kirby Stone's experience and perhaps consider the Promacta and the Vidaza combination.