View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 05:04 PM
Owner

Chad,

I can see how doctors at the ER might not know how best to help Danielle because they wouldn't be aware of her whole history, but if her hematologist has looked her over and thinks the antibiotic might be all that's needed then I think that's a good assumption, and certainly an explanation to hope is correct.

At 18 months out and after good checkups I would have hoped Danielle was back to her full strength, but if a "small infection" can knock her out like this then she's still sensitive in some ways. It may be a lingering result of the transplant, as you suspect, but it's hard to know. I've noticed that my wife was more sensitive to minor bugs than the rest of the family for years after her transplant, which got gradually better over time. To protect her we always make sure everyone in the family gets a flu shot when they are first available.

We post-transplant patients and caregivers tend to be more vigilant than the average person, which is good, but it can also tempt you to be suspicious of every symptom. If this is just a "routine" infection that hit her hard then let's hope she is soon past it.

I'm sure you're making sure that Danielle stays hydrated, so keep up that habit, and make sure to mention all of her current symptoms at the next appointment.