View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 9, 2012, 05:34 PM

Had MDS three years now

Hi!
Not new to MDS but new to using the forums. I have 5q- MDS, diagnosed l5th January 2009, and after blood transfusions and a bone marrow biopsy, the 5q- was discovered and my doctor put me on Revlimid. It gave me back my old energy and I have had a very good two years since starting it in October 2009. I realise that it could stop working, but I'll take what I can get for now. I am too old for a bone marrow transplant, and also have heart trouble and high b.p. so wouldn't be a candidate anyway.
I go to a local cancer support group, which has been a great help in dealing with all the feelings that go along with being diagnosed with a rare disease I had never heard of, and I volunteer at the local hospital now, in the Oncology Clinic.
Life since retirement was a bit dull, but since my diagnosis, all kinds of interesting things have happened and I have made some lovely new friends, so it's not all downhill. I particularly enjoy the webinars put on by the AAMDSIF, as they are so informative and I can ask questions as well.
I like to walk every day, although some neuropathy in my feet doesn't always help, and I have to be extra careful, but it's good exercise.
I look forward to reading comments in the forums and a long and happy relationship with Marrowforums