Thread: New Beginnings
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 01:57 PM

All the best from Switzerland

Hi Kensley, sorry to hear that you have to go through this at such a young age.
My wife Sue normally corresponds on this forum but this time I feel the need to respond. I am Swiss and my name is Arnold. I was diagnosed in May 2012 with vsAA out of the blue. All my life I was never ill, worked nearly forty years until it happenend. I tried first ATG and doctors recommended a bone marrow transplantation after ATG didn't work. I refused to do that, because I thought my bone marrow is still ok but a "little tick" in my brain stops producing the required blood cells (like with computers when they play up for no obvious reasons). However, the option Revolade (Eltrobombag) came up. Fortunately, the Swiss health insurance paid this very expensive course of medication. After 1 1/2 years of taking these tablets I stopped it. My blood counts (except Hb) are in the clear, I feel well, started to work again.

Now, how did I cope with all this during the last 2 1/2 years? To be honest, I don't really know. All I did was enjoying every day, the nature and being grateful to be still alive. I never thought too much about the illness, I liked the spare time I suddenly had after all the years with hard working, raising two daughters (now 25 and 30 years old). A very important or the most important factor was the support of my loved ones, especially of my wife who looked after me so beautifully.

Don't despair, stay positive (I know it is easy to say), but very important! Take care of yourself Kensley and let us know how you get through this. All the best Arnold