View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 3, 2013, 02:49 PM

I don't remember the time period they gave my husband not to drive, but on the way home from the hospital, he had me pull over in a rest area where he took over the driving. He drove to all his doctor check ups afterwards. We were 1 hour and 15 minutes from the hospital. I am not saying this was proper by any means. I am sure the warning is because you are in a weakened condition and your responses may not be up to what they should be considering what you have just been through regardless of the fact that your counts are coming back.
As far as taste, it took a good 2 to 3 months for my husbands to come back. Also, he couldn't stand warm or hot food. He preferred sandwiches, cereal, etc. He also had issues with dry mouth and had trouble eating because of that. I don't remember the heightened sense of smell. He, too took Tacrolimus, then was switched to Sirolimus. After 3 years, he is off everything. His only issue is dealing with high iron because of the numerous transfusions. He does phlebotomy every week and with the Lord's help, it seems to be working.
There is Light at the end of this tunnel. Just listen to your docs and be cautious when around other people~~~~especially this time of year!
All the best!
Mary, wife of Mike age 70; diagnosed MDS RARS 1999. Tried Vidaza, Revlimid, and Dacogen. SCT 10/1/09 at U of MI; induction FluBu2; sister perfect match donor. 5 years out, little to no GVHD. Off all meds. God is good