View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 07:39 PM

Chances of self recovery?

I'm wondering what you were told were the odds of self recovery? My daughter, Jessica 16, was diagnosed, after bone marrow tests,about 2 weeks ago with moderate AA. Her Dr. says there is a chance she could recover without treatment, but she feels it isn't likely. Our treatment plan as it stands right now is monitoring her blood counts weekly for the next 6-8 weeks, if no improvement, begin treatment with ATG and cyclosporine. All blood counts are low, hemo @ 5.9 (before red blood cell only) transfusion, wbc 3, platelets have gone from 14 to 19 since her first CBC, with no real change in the other counts. She has no siblings to match for bmt, or her Dr. says she would do that first. The treatments sound pretty scary in themselves, I'm just wondering if 6 - 8 weeks would be enough time to show improvement before we proceed, or if there is something in her tests that are a clue to the dr. that she won't recover on her own. Needless to say, we are still researching and learning about something we've never heard of before while still reeling from the diagnosis. Any response is appreciated.