View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 9, 2012, 09:54 AM

Hi Mel! (I'm Melissa, are you also, or are you a Melanie?)

I'm also a young'un in transplant-land - I was 30 when I had mine 3 years ago. I know it sounds really scary (and it is), but you have to look at it this way - a transplant can be a CURE. That's it, done. ATG has a limited time that it works, and it may come back to interrupt your life again and again. But a transplant can be IT, and especially with a matched sibling donor and being so young, You've got AWESOME prospects on your side!

I did a play-by-play of my transplant in its own thread if you want to read it, but I'm happy to answer questions, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel L View Post
For those of you who were working before transplant, did you keep your job and just go on leave? Did you have to quit? Did they fire you? Is that even legal, for them to fire you for something like this?
I work for a really small company, and I was off work for 6 months, from the time I was admitted for transplant to 6 months post-transplant. After that, I worked 4 days a week for about 6 months further. I found it really helpful to have Wednesdays off for a rest to have 2x two days weeks, essentially. My employers are awesome though, I've been with them ten years now.

Quote:
How long did it take for you to lose your hair? Did you lose it all, or just some?
It took mine 3 weeks from the chemo to fall out, and I'd say 98% fell out - when it started to look bad, I just had my husband clipper it off, and I got some really fun wigs off eBay (blonde, brunette, bright red, pink, blue, I loved them!). I also made a bunch of close, jersey caps for wearing around home and sleeping in.

It takes a surprisingly long time for hair to grow back, though. At 6 months post transplant I finally had enough for the shortest possible pixie cut. It took about two years to reach shoulder length again.

Quote:
Do you HAVE to have a Hickman line? Because I've been there and done that, and they suck, especially in Florida summers.
When the alternative is being jabbed over and over again for veins that are no longer there, you REALLY want one. During a transplant, you often need 2 or 3 IVs going at once, and they often start very early in the morning, so I'd be surprised if they were optional. You might be able to consider a PICC line in your arm instead though? Ask your transplant centre.

Quote:
Does cyclosporine still smell like skunk?
Hahah! I forgot the pills had a funny smell. I was only on it for about 2 months post-transplant, but my experience wasn't the norm.

Quote:
I'm so tired of fighting. Is it even worth it?
You have already been through SO much, and you're potentially so close to kicking this thing to the curb for good. Why give up now, when in a few years you could be living your life again without this spectre hanging over your shoulder, wondering when it'll reappear? Seriously, I'm running marathons now, and I'm healthier now than I was before my transplant. It's easy to only see the horror stories, but there are success stories, too.

One thing that you haven't brought up that you NEED to think about now, though, is that it's extremely likely you'll be infertile after your transplant. You need to ask your doctors now about freezing eggs or embryos if you're not in a position to have babies before your transplant.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)