View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Bill View Post
Ever since I was treated with ATG and CsA, I have been taking potassium and magnesium supplements to offset the side effects of CsA, per the doctor's prescription.

My doctor has been monitoring my potassium and magnesium levels, and 10 Meq of potassium has been adequate (that amount requires a prescription, I think). I take the potassium with the CsA in the morning, and the bottle says to take it with a lot of water, and not to lie down for 30 minutes afterwards.

It has taken some time and experimenting to get the magnesium levels up to normal, and when it is low, I tend to have muscle cramps a lot. The magnesium I take is Magnesium Oxide, and for me, it works to take 2 400mg tablets in the morning with the CsA, and 1 400mg tablet in the evening with the CsA. I do not know if it the magnesium helps with fatigue, but it does keep the cramps from happening.

As far as the CsA is concerned, the insert says to take it at evenly spaced intervals and either with food or without, but to eat the same amount and type of food each time in order to keep the dosage constant. I don't do so well at following THAT, but I probably really should.

HTH
I had such bad muscle cramps while on the cyclosporine but did not realize it was from the low magnesium... Wish my doctor had known that... I do know you have to be carefully monitored if you take potassium as if it goes to high it can cause cardiac problems..
JEZ, 50s, diagnosed AA Dec 2006, ATG one time, serum sickness resolved / took cyclosporine (Neoral) with delayed response but now with good labs/ recent kidney toxicity, so off of cyclosporine now and trying generic Imuran