View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 1, 2013, 01:42 PM

Give the ATG Time to Work

I went home the day after 4 days of continuous ATG infusion. I was neutropenic and had to be very careful about germs, etc., but I was not nearly as low on neutrophils as you. My doctor said to be very careful about catching things from my grandchildren. I had to ask everyone who came into my house to immediately wash their hands, and until my neutrophils got to a certain point (don't remember the number) I had to wear a mask out in public and around my grandkids. My doctor was disappointed at the 2 month mark after the ATG that I didn't show any response and wanted me to check into having a transplant, but I had heard that people should wait as long as 6 months for a late response. Sure enough at about the 2.75 month mark, I was able to get off of red blood and platelet transfusions, and I wasn't neutropenic. Going to an outpatient clinic for frequent transfusions may make you feel like a "sick" person, but you might be surprised how soon you will feel better.