View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 09:03 AM

StephM,

My son's urine was also very dark for about a week after his ATG in JUL. I remember asking in my thread (it's at the top of the pediatric section), because I thought it may be the cyclosporine, and my doctors eventually decided that it was hemolysis (the destruction of red blood cells) from his PNH clone. His bilirubin went up to 1.7, the doctors took it as a sign that his liver was breaking down red blood cells faster. About two weeks later my son's urine and bilirubin returned to normal. He's been on cyclosporine since then and his kidneys are fine. He drinks a lot of liquids, luckily. If his creatinine creeps up they would give him intravenous fluids at a visit to get it back down again.

From what I've read in articles on Aplastic Anemia, the theory of why it's more common in Asia than in Europe or the US (we are in the US) is that Asian countries are much more crowded. The close proximity of everyone to each other makes it much more likely that people will catch a virus that will set off their Aplastic Anemia, simply because they catch more viruses in general. My son did catch a nasty respiratory virus that started his Aplastic Anemia so the theory makes sense to me.