Thread: Vidaza disaster
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 6, 2007, 11:16 PM

Unhappy

Hi Wayne....unfortunately it is much too late...he is at home with hospice care and near death. The dr (he had been hospitalized in Topeka,KS) said that the Vidaza killed off his bone marrow and that there was nothing else they could do. He was in the hospital for three weeks, getting platelets every day and blood about every other day. He was also getting neupogen shots with no effect. His last Vidaza shot was Dec 3rd, and he has been home from the hospital for three weeks. However, the interesting thing is that the dr said he would last less than a week-and it has been 3. Since he is still here-I threw a fit and asked the dr to order a blood test to see how his counts are.(the hospice nurse can do that) He wasn't going to order it and I had a cow and they did the draw today. Why would doing a blood draw be such a problem?? He has not had any transfusions of any kind in three weeks-he is super weak but how is it that he is still here? His platelets at discharge were between 2-5.Either way my mom and I want to know what his numbers are. I still can't believe 2 rounds has done this to him...I am so sad. I am not sure why the drs gave up so fast-he has had blood count problems for years but I felt they gave up too soon...