View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 24, 2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N dean View Post
Hi so we have been to see our consultant today, with the results of his bone marrow biospy (his trephine results wnt be back till next week) but the marrow shows that atg has failed and is still empty, we are going to transplant hopefully on the 5th of oct, our donor has confirmed and had tests done (consultant had put all this in place jusy incase) only negative is donor is currently testing positive for covid so nothing more can be done until he is testing negative on a pcr test. Hopefully he will be testing negative by the 5th and we can proceed. In the mean time we are looking at chemo options, and the possibility of fertility treatment and radiation (these are dependent on the trephine results). Thanks for all you support it helps when people can relate to the current situation or have been through tor have been the same long road either themselves or a close family memeber
Thank you for letting me know. Please keep us updated.

I believe your son will do beautifully with a BMT. He's young, which is in his favor. Very young people are encouraged to get BMT's for aplastic anemia. He had no improvement in cellularity, either, which does indicate that the horse-ATG isn't probably working. But you will never know for 100%.

My mother actually gained 4-5% in bone marrow cellularity after 4 months post-ATG, but blood/platelet levels had still not been up (just neutrophils were a little better). But her hematologist said that that was enough improvement to believe the horse-ATG could end up working down the road. She also has a small PNH clone in her marrow, which is supposed to indicate a favorable response to ATG. But nothing is ever a guarantee, is it? My mother can't get a break for nothing, it seems.

We are still not out of the woods, despite a few spikes in her hemoglobin lately. We are keeping our fingers crossed. You just never know with this disease.

If my mother's horse-ATG doesn't kick in by mid-November, she will have to do the rabbit-ATG (stronger). My mother can still get a BMT if all fails if she stays healthy enough. But we just don't know what will happen.

Keep in touch.

Wishing you all the best!