View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 4, 2016, 03:06 PM
Owner

julienne,

I can offer my advice too.

The transplant team will provide you with detailed discharge instructions when your husband is released, so read them carefully.

Your husband will probably be fairly tired, and as bailie points out there will very likely be ups and downs from day to day.

You may need to return to the treatment center on occasion, not just for followup appointments but because you need a symptom evaluated or treated. My wife and I made many impromptu trips to the care center after her transplant, but in the end she came out of it fine. Don't panic when some extra attention is needed, and don't be shy about asking for the help.

Don't worry about your husband's appetite or nutrition at first. He'll eat what he can when he can, as his strength and health improve. He should certainly stay hydrated.

Your husband's risk of infection may still be a concern, even if his white count is near normal. Having friends and family and pets and visitors can be a psychological boost, and make life closer to normal again, but you may need to balance that with a need to keep him away from germs and to let him get enough rest.