View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 05:56 PM

Hi - I hope you're Vidaza goes well -

I did a round of Vidaza (didn't work for me) and I would wait as long as I could to get transfusions - as a result I'd let my Hgb get pretty low - below 7 - I would be very tired - and as I found out later - the low Hgb made my heart work harder which helped cause some heart problems down the road. I eventually let my Hgb get down to 5 - and ended up in the ER - at that point they put me on weekly blood tests and transfusions. Frequent transfusions also created its own problems - the lesson I learned was to not let the Hgb get too low - I think its better to get your blood checked more frequently and to transfuse as needed - rather than try to tough it out and wait until it gets too low and you need multiple units anyway. Staying more or less steady felt better than the fairly big swings I'd been experiencing. How frequently is probably something you should discuss with your hematologist - and might depend on your counts and response to Vidaza - Hopefully the Vidaza will work and your counts will start to go up soon without transfusions.

Best wishes,
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015