View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 09:25 PM

Similar Experience

At 8 weeks out from my ATG treatment, I was only receiving transfusions of platelets, which were 16. My WBC was good -- it was over 3, and my HGB was ranging between 8-9, so I didn't need transfusions for that. My doctor and his staff thought I should be responding better by then and had brought up the subject of BMT a few times. I wanted to wait a while and see if my counts would come up. Even though my platelet count was up to 43 by Week 13, Dr. Rice encouraged me to have an appointment with the Bone Marrow Team and see if there were any matches for me, so I did that about 4 months after my ATG. The doctor in the BMT unit said that BMT would only be considered for me after a second round of ATG, if needed, didn't work. At this point, 20 months after ATG, I feel good with my HGB at 10, WBC usually a little below 3, and platelets in the 20's or 30's. Dr. Rice has agreed that I can life comfortably and safely the way I am. As it turned out, there were very few matches for me, and I personally do not want to consider a BMT unless it is a matter of life or death.