View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 26, 2013, 07:45 PM

Hi Heather,

I am 14 months post-ATG for SAA. Like many others who responded to your post (and also FINALLY responded to the ATG, thankfully), I was a very slow responder. And 8 weeks post-ATG I was not as far along as your husband currently is even.

My last platelet transfusion was 8 weeks post-ATG, my last RBC transfusion was over 3 months post-ATG. Then my counts basically hovered at a low level, especially my red blood, for another 3 months. Only at month 7 did they start rising significantly, and they really kicked in around month 10.

My counts still bounce around, and have fallen a bit in recent months, which of course is stressful. But I am in good hands at my hospital and usually in good spirits. My counts are high enough that I have energy. I climb mountains and ski with my kids, and feel so lucky about how far I have progressed in a year.

So in short, yes, I sure think your husband should wait on a BMT. My doctor, for example, was waiting until about the 6 month mark post-ATG with me. That said, it wouldn't hurt to start checking the donor registry just in case.

One of my doctors told me fighting this would be a 'glacial process'. I now know what she meant! On that note, I found something yesterday that all of us fighting SAA on the 'slow track' can find inspiration from. Here's a blog from a young lady who, finally, 7 years post-ATG was declared in full remission by her doctor. She decided to celebrate by hiking across America (the whole way, Atlantic to Pacific) to raise awareness for bone marrow failure disorders. She must have her energy back!

http://our-hike.blogspot.com/p/my-aplastic-anemia.html

Although this is a strange and frightening disease, we have great hope.
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.