View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 08:18 PM

Second round of ATG

Hi, I just completed my second round of ATG last week. I first did the rabbit ATG because I had an allergic reaction to the horse ATG. It did not work so my Dr wanted to try the horse ATG as it was either that or transplant.

I had severe serum sickness with the rabbit, but everyone reacts differently. The horse went a lot smoother I believe mostly because of the facility. They stopped it when I started getting sick and having reactions. They took it slow - about 6 days. I am currently on cyclosporine and prednisone. I hate prednisone and want to start weaning myself off. It keeps me up all night, I have had 5 hours total sleep in the last few days. I can't even take a nap during the day even though I can barely stand up from exhaustion.

I feel ok, just really tired, bloated from all the meds and my legs and arms are really weak. Thank goodness I have my family - wonderful husband and two girls - to help me out. They won't let me overdo it - I would if they didn't make me sit down.

I had always been very active, worked full time and worked out 3-4 days a week. We were always on the go and this has totally changed my life.

My counts were up as of Tuesday which was amazing because my rbc count never went up on its own, I was getting monthly transfusions which caused iron overload - that is a test I would demand they do monthly because my counts were skyrocketing and this all started in April. I am now on 11 exjade tablets a day, it is a very expensive medication. My platelets went up from 13 to 39 and my wbc was up. I did get a sinus infection right after I got out of the hospital last week, but I was put on some antibiotics and it went away pretty quick.

I would research the facility that your Dr wants to send you too. Make sure they have done the ATG before - the rabbit ATG was done at a smaller facility and they just kept pumping it in no matter how sick I was.

It is a big decision but I am happy we did the horse ATG, especially if my counts start going up!!

I hope this helps you, God bless you and watch over you.
Lee-39 years old-AA,PNH and chromosome 12 disorder-1 rabbit ATG treatment and 1 horse ATG treatment. Getting my bone marrow transplant on November 23, 2010!!!! Counts as of 12-27-10 HGB 12.0, WBC 7.8, platelets 80, Neut# 3.9(12-24-10)!!! Just a touch of GVHD but back home!