View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny09 View Post
ATG has a risk of causing cancer, the risk is increased at each exposure of it.

While it's true that immune suppressants do increase your risk of contracting a variety of ailments, including some cancers, you really have to weigh that against your other options. The risk of untreated SAA or VSAA is much higher, in my opinion. All of the currently available treatment options carry a degree of risk, and that is true for many other medical conditions as well. Keep in mind that the transplant process involves even more immune suppression than ATG/cyclo. Unfortunately, the best we can do when faced with a life or death situation is try to choose the lesser of the evils and hope for the best.

ATG/cyclo has given my husband and me several years of normal life that we wouldn't have otherwise had. I know that sooner or later he may pay a price for it, but having weighed all of the alternatives, I am convinced it was the best choice for him. I'm really sorry your daughter didn't have the same response, Destiny. I can't even imagine what you must be going through as a parent. I hope they are able to find a good donor match for her!