View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 01:27 PM

It depends on the policy and it also varies by state. Is it individual insurance purchased by him or a group plan or Medicare/Medicaid. In NYS the Individual/Family insurance products that are sold now are much different than the policies they'll be selling in 2014. For 2014 They all have limited networks and none have an out of network option. For 2014 NYS insurance companies will offer the same Individual/Family plans and networks that are offered on the exchanges and their 2013 products will disappear for most Individuals/Familys. I don't know how it works in your state but in NY for 2013 if you have no insurance at all the state mandates the ability for anyone to purchase a policy from those ins companies that sell in NYS at anytime. Each company has a different network, and the premiums are 1500.00-2200.00 for an individual depending on the company. Once you have insurance the rules change and you must wait for open enrollment or a life event. There might be a way to get approval if your Doctor can convince the ins company that the out of network doc is unique and there are no comparable docs in the current plans network.

Please Note I am not a health insurance agent nor can I attest that the above is entirely accurate. Hope that helps a bit.