View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 13, 2018, 01:03 AM

David,

Welcome to the forums. I am sorry for the diagnosis, but it sounds like you are taking it in stride and have a positive outlook. Vidaza is a standard treatment option both for treatment of MDS, and as a bridge to transplant. There have also been a good number of studies suggesting that Vidaza may help with a process known as chemo-sensitization, which may be beneficial during transplant, as it makes your mds cells more susceptible to destruction through the pre-transplant regimen.

As for your diagnosis, anything outside of the low and very low risk suggests that transplant as soon as possible is probably the best option, if I recall correctly.

I received my transplant almost 5 years ago now, and was trending toward that higher risk category. I did 2 rounds of vidaza prior to transplant and have seen several examples of people who followed this regimen with successful outcomes.

I wish you the very best over the next few months.
Dan
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.