View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 9, 2008, 11:19 PM

Vidaza dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitta-A View Post
Hi Francine,
You know my dr (Grövdahl), who is one of the authors of an abstract about Vidaza, has told me that no one really knows the optimal dose of Vidaza. There are many clinical trials with different doses. 75 mg/m2 seven days in a 28 days cycle is too much for many patients.

A lower dose five days in a 28 days cycle can give better results and less adverse reactions . The patients in this study had got aggressive treatment with chemo before the got Vidaza but the results can probably be applied in patients that only get Vidaza.

"The initial dose of azacitidine (Vidaza) was 75 mg/m2 but as four of the first five enrolled patients developed grade 4 cytopenia, the starting dose was lowered to 60 mg/m2, and was allowed to be reduced to 45 or 30 mg/m2 to avoid severe cytopenias. The mean dose of azacitidine was 54.3 mg/m2."

http://ash.confex.com/ash/2008/webpr...Paper6836.html

Good luck!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A

Hi Birgitta,
Thank you for this info on Vidaza dosing. I will speak to her doctor about this. I'm going to post a Reply to everyone in the next day or so with an update as I received my mom's bone marrow biopsy report and am studying this.
--Francine S.
Francine S: My mom, 85 yrs old, prelim diagnosis of MDS ~ June 2007. Nov, 20, 2008 BM biopsy results confirm MDS: RCMD subtype, 3% Blasts, Hypercellular marrow, approx. 70%; no chromosome abberations; transfusion dependent.