View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 11:09 PM

Exclamation Birgitta - one more question!

Hi Birgitta (again!),
I just re-read your signature info and see that you have received 75 units of blood since May 2006?? And I see you are also subtyped as RCMD, like my mom. May I ask you, what effect does each transfusion have on your Hgb, as in # of units resulting in what numeric (g/dL) increase? And from what pre-transfusion to post-transfusion Hgb level typically? Since you are a lot younger than my mom, I realize that her situation with Hgb and RBC count is a bit different. She of course is not very active so seems to be able to withstand lower Hgb levels. But today she said she did not feel very well (she's below 6.6 now - they couldn't get blood for her today - hopefully tomorrow). Have you found it more and more difficult to get blood typed for a good match? My mom's doctor says she is raising antibodies to the blood she receives so it's becoming harder and harder to find a good match for her. Last, at what level of serum ferritin did you have to start getting Desferal? I will be reviewing my mom's blood test results shortly - she got her iron levels checked when it was drawn this week.
Kind Regards,
Francine
Francine S: My mom, 85 yrs old, prelim diagnosis of MDS ~ June 2007. Nov, 20, 2008 BM biopsy results confirm MDS: RCMD subtype, 3% Blasts, Hypercellular marrow, approx. 70%; no chromosome abberations; transfusion dependent.

Last edited by Francine S : Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Adding a question