View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 07:58 PM

New treatment centre

Well, so far so good. I'm on day 2 of my copper treatment.

I missed out on one whole cycle of copper and I have been having increased spasticity and spasms in my legs and feet along with spasms in my hands which is a completely new phenomena. It's been disconcerting to have my right index finger bend back by itself to the point where I've been sure it's going to break but luckily that hasn't happened.

I had a blood test yesterday and surprisingly, my platelets are in the normal range for the first time in many, many months. All my other full blood count results are normal too. I don't have the copper level yet but I expect it will have dropped quite a lot. I can't figure out how my FBC has become normal when I stopped the infusions but I'll take what I can get

I've been told that this centre is closing for 4 weeks over Christmas and I will miss out on another whole cycle of copper. I can't say I'm pleased about it but at least I have been given a lot of notice. The communication here is a lot better.

This centre is a lot less busy and the nurses have more time to chat, the doctors seem to be less stressed, the physical environment is quite nice. There are electric recliners, LCD TVs for each patient, the toilet facilities are a lot easier to use for someone like me with mobility issues. There are IV pumps for each patient (they used to have to hunt for them in the previous centre) and every patient has a BP machine (no sharing).

The best part is that it takes 5 minutes to get here from my house. I come by Ambulance transport but I think I'll start catching wheelchair taxis so I can be more independent.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion