View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:34 AM

Hi Sharnie, yes, it's the Logan City Hospital Day Therapy Unit.

I had a chat with one of the nurses today and she saidvthey are disappointingly, underutilized. They dont have an oncologist, just the one haematologist, so they don't do chemo. They do infusions for immunologists, neurologists, rheumatologists etc.

Their main work consists of elective blood transfusions, intragam, iron infusions etc.

They are hoping to expand their services in the near future but they have to get more medical staff to agree to visit the centre. All the RNs are already oncology and chemo trained so they are being used below their qualifications. Apparently they rubbed their hands in glee when I turned up needing such a lot of ongoing care.

My Mum has been back in Greenslopes this week. She went for dialysis on Monday and her permacath wouldn't work so they admitted her to insert a new permacath. I'm happy to say that the care she received this time was wonderful and they communicated with her better so she knew exactly what was happening and when. She is coming home this evening after her dialysis.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion