View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 12:44 PM

Update post BMB #2

Hi All,

After such a great result on the last BMB Nellie and I became super optomistic. Expecting better and more consistent blood counts. When communicating with Dr Cogle at Shands in Gainsville, it was decided we need not make the trip to see him. He, Dr Cogle, stated he would only recommend we continue with Vidaza treatments for another 8 cycles.

So we did. Our expectations however, where not totally realized. After the Fifth cycle only mild improvement. After the Sixth cycle WBC and Plts climbed but RBC wained at 9.9. Suddenly three weeks after completion of the Sixth cycle WBC dropped from 4.1 to 0.8, plts held at 113 and hemo dropped to 8.7. Vidaza was postponed for one week while procrite and neupogen shots had a chance to improve counts. In the mean time I contacted Dr Cogle with concerns that the meds may now be working against us. This resulted in reducing the amount of Vidaza administerd by 50%.

A week later, yesterday, Nellie's counts improved some and the treatment was continued. Dr Morris our local doctor was suprised to see the counts do what they did, but offered no possible explanation. Dr Cogle did not offer any either. What am I to think??

During this time Nellie had to have her sinuses scraped, due to nose bleeds and minor infection, and an ultrasound on her belly done, because of blouting, which showed a small lesion in the upper part of her left kidney. No other signs. She has an appointment with a urologist next Weds. What next??

Well, I hope you are all doing better, God Bless and hang in there.

Eli
Eli, husband of Nellie (64), dx 3/08 MDS RAEB-1 w/abs, 2nd BMB 9/08 after 4 cyls blast dn to .5, Vidaza reduced 50% on 11/19 after sudden drop in CBC, 8th cycle completed 12/26/08. BMB 2/09 blast 17%. Seven day Induction Therapy completed 3/23/09, Started Salvage Therapy 5/5/09. Stopped 5/8/09.