View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 07:31 AM

Smile Vidaza

Hi Eli,
I just wanted to share my experience with Vidaza as I have been receiving treatments with this drug for 3 years now. I just saw my onc yesterday. I had been feeling down about the treatments and even thinking about giving them up and just allowing the disease to take its course. Well, my doc explained that the Vidaza has the disease in remission for me. He said I have had MDS for 8 years now. I didn't begin treatments, though, with vidaza until 3 years ago. The vidaza has had its side effects and these seem to vary with each treatment. I've had constipation on time and then loose bowels the next round, mouth sores, nausea, tiredness, rashes and bruising (when I was getting injections instead of IV treatments) and probably other reactions I've just forgotten just now. Still, my doc says the drug has me in remission. Unfortunately, I have other medical conditions that exempt me from a bmt, so I will be on vidaza indefinitely. My onc promises he will let me know when something else becomes available, but for now, he says, vidaza is the best treatment (for me anyway) available and it is still working its wonders with this disease. He told me that to stop the drug would mean that I would eventually develop a type of leukemia that is next to impossible to treat and that would mean certain death in as little as 3 weeks. So, on with the fight!! All of you are in my thoughts as we continue in this fight against this disease. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know that having this disease really reminds me of all I can still give thanks for in spite of the trials associated with being sick. Happy Thanksgiving to all here.
Kathy
Kathy, 47, diagnosed with MDS IPSS Intermediate Risk, Refractory Anemia and Thrombocytopenia both secondary to MDS. 8/06-treatments include 14 shots Vidaza monthly, aeranesp, neulasta when needed also have polycystic kidney disease