Thread: Aranesp
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 6, 2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks for your post last week.

Hi Kathy,

I was about to sell my bike and then I read your post last week in which you mentioned that you are still able to excercise somewhat. I am worried that if I go for a ride or walk some distance I will A) deplete my heamoglobin and B) put my heart under unnecessary stress. What has your doctor instructed you? I have been told to be as inactive as possible but feel that this may be over-cautious? My heart rate does redline when I exert myself too much (like getting up off the sofa to turn on the light ) but perhaps I will buy a stationery trainer and see how that goes... I just don't want to have to increase my transfusion requirements any.

I saw in an earlier post of yours that you asked how does one deal with the treatments. You know I consider myself so lucky at the moment that all I have to deal with is having a line put in once every 3 weeks or so. When I was in hospital having chemo I got very depressed at all the tests, needles, antibiotics etc. that were involved. Then I would see innocent children undergoing even worse treatments and I would feel ashamed at being so grumpy. The kids have it the hardest, I really feel for them and their parents whose lives are turned completly upside down.

For me what works best is just taking things ONE day at a time. I don't think long term regarding treatment as things can change overnight. The daily self injections are the worst. It is easier if a family member can inject you (unless you are okay with this). I really stressed out when I was on Neupogen as I kept thinking I wasn't injecting at the correct angle etc. The nurses make it look so easy - I used to take about half an hour to administer the stuff!

What has helped me mentally is going back to work. I am very blessed in that my company have signed me up as a contractor and allow me to work from home on days when I am not feeling good. They understand that I need plenty of time off and I fill in a weekly time sheet for the hours I work. This way I don't have to feel guilty about being paid for time when I am not working. I have also substituted my previous sporting activities with other hobbies. I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar, so now I spend hours trying to get my chubby fingers to play a single chord! I think cycling is easier for sure.

Anyway take care of yourself and enjoy the blessings of each new day.
Regards
Kevin