View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 20, 2014, 10:21 PM

ATG is really hard on the kidneys. So, it is probably wise to remove the cyclosporine for a bit to allow things to recover. In the big scheme of things, not taking the cyclosporine for a week or so while her kidneys heal probably won't make that much of a difference - the ATG is the big gun right now in wiping out the rogue T-cells.

There have been a few times when my GFR has been in the 50's, but it always recovered by the next blood test. My elevated creatinine would also recover when my cyclosporine dosage was lowered.

Had they been measuring Karin's cyclosporine trough levels to make sure that her dosage wasn't too high?

Make sure that she is drinking a lot of water all day long. Also, keep track of her baseline (before drugs) creatinine numbers. To prevent irreversible kidney damage from cyclosporine, the creatinine level should ideally not increase more than 33% from the baseline. (This is from the drug manufacturer.)