View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 6, 2010, 07:05 AM

Treatment for low platelets... ?

Just had a bit of a scare... my last blood count didnt show my platelets at all, but we are hoping it was just the machine that made a mistake. I don't feel like they are that low. Last week they were 29, so that's ok. Will find out from the Dr tomorrow tabout odays results.

I am not worried. Just wandering what they will do if they do drop off one day? My platelets are my only major concern in my MDS to date. What drugs can they give you? I am in Australia and I'm not sure what is available. Is a troublesome platelet count reason enough to proceed to transplant?

Lots of questions to ask my Hematologist... just thought someone else might know before I get to talk with him. Most of my issues I visit my local GP, and I know more about my disease than him! Melbourne Hospital is 2 hours away, so if something were wrong... I'm not sure what I would do. The nearest hospital I guess could help to some degree.

Thanks for any information...

xx jules
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.