View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
The stem cell transplant experience is different for most people. The transplant itself is the least of the effects. It is easy to sleep through the whole thing (I did). The chemo before the transplant is difficult. It zaps the energy for many. Then the first 14 days following the transplant a person has little energy and you just want to be still. It is necessary during that time to walk and exercise as much as possible, but you just don't feel like it. Also, it is important to drink a lot of fluids and again you just don't feel like it. For many people, their tastes change and eating become a challenge.

It seems there is no uniform experience after the transplant. Most people spend about 60 days getting their strength back along with their appetite. The SCT is often no choice so you just make the best of it and its challenges. For me, I could have physically handled playing an accordian (if I knew how) after about day 75. But, it is different for every person.

How old is your father? Does he have any other health problems?

He is 64 years young and he no other health problems. Thats what makes this whole situation frustrating because he just went in for routine labs and found blasts cells in his peripheral blood smear. I have hope that he will be able to play but still concerned about the neuropathy. Have you experienced this? I know that the only option to potentially cure this is through SCT so we have to do what we must do to save his life.