View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 12:15 AM

In search of an MDS education

Hi. I am the daughter of a wonderful 75 year old man who has been the rock and foundation of our family. He has lived a quiet and selfless life providing for not only his family but also his extended family and several friends that have been in need along the way.

My Dad worked in the construction industry (mainly concrete) and has ALWAYS been a very healthy and strong man. However,4 years ago he began having bladder issues (small tumors,which were not cancer). Then,almost 2 years ago came the diagnosis of MDS. According to my Mother,his Oncologist was cold and to the point...... "you have 3 years tops to live if the chemo doesn’t kill the MDS". To this date,the bedside attitude has not changed. Both of my parents are very kind people and will always defer to what a doctor has to say...... I on the other hand believe healing should be body,Mind,and spirit. I would love to change doctors but am limited by my parents HMO health insurance.

My Dads condition is getting increasingly worse. He began Vidaza injections last year. He has had approximately 4 treatments of 5 (100 mcg) shots. His need for transfusions is now at every 2 weeks. His quality of life in between the 2 weeks is poor (no appetite,and no energy). He loves to garden; growing tomatoes,apples,carrots,etc. He has always had a garden since I was a young child; however,he can no longer even water his yard.

His last transfusion was last Tuesday given to him via a hospital ER visit because we noticed he was not aware of his surroundings and had trouble following a conversation. A blood test showed his hemoglobin was at 4.7 and his platelets were at 3000. This isn’t the lowest it’s been. Almost 3 months prior he walked into the hospital.....on his own 2 feet..... with a hemoglobin of 3.5. Like I said,he has always been a very,very strong man.

This morning he woke up with a tennis ball sized bruise on his right knee. He had not fallen or bumped into anything that may have caused this. We took him to his primary dr. who indicated that his platelets had pooled in his knee. She also told my Dad that this type of pooling could also occur in his stomach and possibly his brain. This strong man I have had all my life is fading away in front of my eyes. I feel so helpless. He seems to be losing hope with each new turn that MDS brings his way.

I refuse to give up! I am asking for so guidance form this community of kindred spirits. Please educate me as to what I need to do first,second,third and so on. I will first be looking into changing my parents insurance to a PPO in October during their open enrollment period; however,until then I need to educate myself as much as possible.

Thank you in advance for any information and/or supportive stories that come our way.