View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 23, 2011, 12:59 PM

I take 1500mg exjade a day and have been for about a year and a half (I think - I can find out if it's important). I have 2 units of red cells every 2 weeks and have been for almost 2 years.

I don't think it has affected any counts, but then who's to say? Both now and last spring I have had a low platelet count (98, I know it's not critical) and right now my neutrophil count was 0.4 on my last test. I was almost in a panic and had to remind myself I have no fever or sign of infection...

I had to go off exjade for about 2 weeks recently because my creatinine was too high. It gives me a rash on the front and back of my knees that I can't help but scratch, and I have a rash on my hands. It's so itchy. I have tried cortisone cream and benadryl cream, it helps only a little. Right now I'm also taking Claritin for seasonal allergies. I'm not on any immune suppressants.

I read some small study on how exjade reduces inflammation but I don't believe it. What do you call a rash if it's not inflammation?

I am still on their patient program in Canada but they have never given me a number to call in case of problems, just a number to order more.

BTW - how much does a month of exjade cost you? Supposedly the full cost would be just over $3300 a month. How can anyone afford that?

Deb