View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 02:14 AM

Need Advice on Platelet Transfusion

So while I was in the hospital over Christmas, they decided to give me a platelet transfusion because my platelets were at 13. I am pretty sure that's where they have been since I had the Vidaza treatments and it crashed all my levels. I agreed to it and they gave me one bag which only brought me up to 17, so the next night they gave me another bag which took me up to over 40. I had a CBC today because I have an appt with the inf. disease dr. tomorrow. Some on call dr. called me tonight and wanted me to rush to the ER tonight (after 10:30) to get a transfusion. I told her I couldn't get a ride. So she wants me to go tomorrow after my id appt. I am really hesitant to do it especially since it has been at that level before and I am not bleeding anywhere that I know of. Unfortunately my hematologist is out of the office until 1/4, so I can't really talk to him about it. I just don't want to keep doing this every week because the lab freaks out. I have had that experience constantly with my low wbc and neutrophils. Also I am trying to avoid the ER because the flu and norovirus are in full swing right now. I know these on call drs. are just doing their jobs, but they also don't know anything about MDS.

Any advice? Should I leave a message with my hematologist office to see what they will say? No one else there really knows my case. The last time I saw my hematologist, he was fine with just waiting to see if it went lower since I wasn't bleeding anywhere.