View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 09:18 AM

Food....

We found, especially after John's treatment, that a vegetarian diet did not support his healing enough. We've always eaten healthy but found that we did not have enough protein in our diets. So we upped the protein. I spent a lot of time looking into this first at the Weston Price Foundation organization. I then read the book, Metabolic Typing by Wilcox which looks at what mix of protein, carbs and fats best suits you. Your either protein, carb or mix. We both ended up being a mix type. We then made sure we had the right balance each meal with protein being dominate. And you never eat a carb without some fat or protein.

We make sure the bulk of our protein comes from meat and is raised without hormones or antibiotics, and organic if possible. Grass fed is the best. Our fats are from olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, and butter.

I did invest in juicer and did that for a while. John had a difficult time with nausea from the iron chelation drugs and many times the juices were too strong.

The one thing about Raw Food diets is that raw food takes lots of energy to digest and breakdown the food. In chinese medicine, it is usually contradicted in weakened states because it can deplete your chi.

We both have found that adding in more animal protein and good fats has help with energy, strength and stamina. Of course it helps if you have all your blood.

So if you go the vegetarian route, you need to make sure you get enough good quality protein.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.