View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 20, 2014, 05:17 PM

Cyclosporine and kidneys

BobbyJD, Karin has just had to stop Cyclosporine after a month due to an eGFR (Glomular Filtration Rate as estimated just using blood tests) of 25 (should be > 90) indicating stage 4 kidney failure (stage 5 needs dialysis). But I just read an abstract that said that the renal toxicity is limited in its scope, and reversible. We see a nephrologist on Tuesday so I need to study this. Her side effects have been tingling and numb lips and tongue, dose-dependant nausea, electrolyte imbalances and scary kidney function blood tests like creatinine and GFR. But they have cut hers from 600 mg/day to 300 mg/day to 200mg/day to nothing in perhaps 8 days (luke warm turkey at least!) because they do not understand the kidney thing and are being safe. I am concerned that the whole hATG + CsA regime will fail if she cannot get back on the Cyclosporine, so any intelligence on managing the kidney problems would be most welcome.

Last edited by TonyBegg : Fri Jun 20, 2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: "resolved" ambiguous in abstract