View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:50 AM

Gall Bladder Surgery: made it through!

So I had my gall bladder (GB) out yesterday. My journey with the GB began about the same time as AA last year. The main issue the Dr had during surgery was that I lost a little 200cc of blood. For this reason, and because I was groggy and nauseated they kept me until about 5 pm. My surgery was at 8 AM. He said he thought about keeping me overnight. I suppose it is good I wasn't kept overnight considering my compromized immune system.

I initially went to the surgeon on January 6th, but was struggling with what was suspected to be reactive athritus. After going to the reumatologist she confirmed reactive arthritus but noticed that my platelets were a little low. After 4 more weeks my platelets dropped to 30 so I was off to the hematologist. By March 30 I was diagnosed with AA and began treatment for SAA on April 5th. Among other issues, over labor day weekend I had another GB attack that sent me to the hospital. This time I knew what the issue was so I was able remain a little more calm and let the pain pass with the help of morphine.

At this point I talked to my hematologist and she said I needed to wait until my platelets were above 50. I continued to have attacks but nothing as severe as over labor day. They subsequent attacks just kept me up most of the night. Finally I went back to the surgeon and we scheduled for yesterday. He said the GB was very thick and the opening was wide. Now I have four incisions and some pain. Hopefully this will pass quickly. I feel lucky to be alive and thank God for the miracle of modern medicine. I thank my wife for being with me during this time of great strife. I pray for all of the caregivers that many times stand alone. I think in some ways it is more difficult for the caregivers.

Scott