View Single Post
Old Thu May 3, 2012, 03:49 PM

Confused about biopsy results

I am new to this and am hoping to find some answers. I have an autoimmune blood disorder for which I was given Cytoxan for a period of 2 years back in the 1990s and for 18 months in 2009-2010. My Hgb, WBC and PLT count began to decrease in 2010 so they switched me to Imuran.

They still did not come back up so my hematologist did a bone marrow biopsy which showed :

"clear dysplasia and dyspoiesis in the red cells and platelets. There is no increase in blasts. Cytogenetics and FISH are negative but the Genzyme pathologist also concurred with the obvious dysplasia morphologically. HLA typing ordered for further use as her MDS progresses."

I was recently sent to a BMT center for a consultation for a bone marrow transplant. They ordered another BMB because they had some question about the MDS diagnosis.

This one read:
"Hypocellular bone marrow (10%-20%) cellularity with trilineage hematopoiesis; mild erythroid atypia and ringed siderblasts." It goes on to say "These findings are not inconsistant with MDS including refractory anemia with ringed siderblasts, but by themselves are not diagnostic."

The Dr. at The BMT center said that everything points to MDS but there is not enough info to make that diagnosis and he wants me to come back for another biopsy in 6 months.
From what I have been reading, this is what MDS is. Can anyone help further explain the results of my biopsy and what all these terms mean?

Sorry this post is so long. It's a lot of info to take in.

~Coping

Last edited by Coping1 : Sat May 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM.