View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 12:36 AM

4 year old AA with high iron

My son was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia last December. While waiting to see if the ATG worked, he received Exjade - 250mg 1x day. After a few days, he got this horrible rash all over his body. We stopped the Exjade and it took a few weeks for the rash to go away.

We were scheduled for BMT this month, but when they did the bone marrow biopsy they saw that his originally 15% cellularity had increased to 50%. This was unexpected as he is still transfusion dependent. Now we are on hold - waiting a few months to see what happens.

In the mean time the doctors are starting chelation again. His Iron is at 2200 but they want to get it down incase we still have to go to transplant - or at least stop it from going higher. We started with shots to his thighs before receiving red cells - I am not sure, but I think it was desferrol. Now our doctor wants to go back to Exjade. I have tons of faith in our doctor, but I have to ask for others experiences out there. My son's kidney (BUN and Creatinine) are a bit high. Has anyone else had any experience with rashes and Exjade? Are there any symptoms that I should look out for with high kidney function?

And finally - any suggestions on how to get it down a 4 year old easily??

Thanks in advance!!!
Jen