View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 01:12 PM

Iron chelation

Hi Mseth,
It takes years for iron overload to cause serious damage in the liver (we manage well with 33% of the liver) and the heart.

If the creatinin or liver tests will increase too much the drug will be stopped. We manage well with one kidney which means that we have much reserve capacity.

I don't think we will get new liver cells or that the kidneys are repaired but that will not be a problem if these organs are OK initially.

It is important to start slowly with the drug and look out for adverse effects. I could only tolerate 500mg Exjade/day but according to my weight I should have had 1250mg. My WBC decreased when I took 1000mg. I had no other adverse effects.

I think it will be OK to control lever and kidney blood tests and follow them closely.

I had MRI of heart and liver done after about 50 units of blood. There was not a trace of iron overload. I had started with Desferal after 40 units of blood. Now I have received 186 units of blood with Desferal during 4 Days with trsfusions. My ferritin is about 1900. My liver tests are OK.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A