View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 26, 2016, 06:55 PM

Interesting - I received transfusions in patient during transplant - and out patient afterwards - Before transplant I received them out patient either locally or at City hospital with major hematology department - The general protocol was no transfusions below 10 -- at the transplant hospital the general protocol was transfusions below 7 - but due to cardiac issues I was transfused below 8. The the out patient infusion centers I'd be transfused anywhere below ten depending on how I felt and the circumstances - Always the doctors made the call to approve the transfusion at whatever level. I'd think if you felt bad below 8 or even higher - you should be able to have you doctor override whatever the hospital protocol is - at the transplant center my cardiologist made the call - before that my hematologist did - If you tell your doctor you feel bad below 8 - shortness of breath, chest discomfort etc - I'd think the doctor would order the transfusion and nobody would argue too much - Risk of malpractice trumps hospital protocol! If you aren't getting what you think you need don't be shy about insisting. My low Hgb led to cardiac problems ( as did frequent transfusions) - so there is a balance - but I think you are correct that as long as you are getting regular transfusions - they should give them when you need them to feel better - so you go from feeling so-so to feeling ok - Not from terrible to bad (as I sometimes did)
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015